Our History
BEGINNINGS
Meredith Drive Reformed Church is a community of believers that traces its roots back to 1938, when residents of this neighborhood felt a call to begin worshiping together. Services led by Rev. Hermsmeyer and held outdoors until the cold weather compelled them to move indoors to various homes in the area. On July 16, 1939, a dedication was held for their new meeting place - a basement structure at 51st and Lovington, built by the people and entirely paid for by donations. Bethel Community Church was the name first selected. It was later changed to Beaver Heights Federated Church.
 
A NEW CHAPTER
In 1944, representatives of the church met with the church extension committe of Pella to apply for admission into the Reformed Church of America, and it was agreed that the membership of this church would be recognized by the Classis of Pella. On
November 10, 1944, a meeting for organization took place and a consistory was elected. It was voted to purchase property on Meredith Drive at 51st St., our current site. Rev. Albert Van Dyk, Regional Missionary for the Particular Synod of Iowa was sent to temporarily lead this young congregation, newly named Meredith Drive Reformed Church. Dr. Edward Huibregtse came to serve the church in June, 1945. During the summer of 1945 an old unused church building in Guernsey Iowa, 85 miles from Des Moines, was purchased for $500. In February, 1946, a group of over 100 men from the churches in the Classis met to dismantle the building and move it to the Meredith Drive site where it was erected. The dedication of the church took place on December 22, 1948. 
 
GROWTH AND EXPANSION
By 1955 the metropolitan area had grown to surround the church campus, and with that blessing came the need for more space. In the spring of 1960 the Classis agreed to help the congregation build a new sanctuary and the former building was converted into Sunday School rooms. In the early 1970s an educational facility was added, which is now the central office hallway and Kids Ministry GrowZone below. In the early 80s the need for more worship space was again evident, and a building campaign began. By summer of 1985 we were worshiping in our new (and current) sanctuary, and the old sanctuary became our current Family Life Center/gymnasium. By the early '90s there was an obvious need for more educational space, so another building campaign was launched to raise funds for an addition housing three floors of educational space, which is now the west wing of the church. This structure was completed in 1994.
 
MDRC REACHES OUT
In 2000, as membership grew and space again became an issue, conversations centered around expansion of the current location or establishing a second campus. The congregation decided that expanding to a second campus in a developing area to the northwest, in Johnston, was the best solution. About 200 people volunteered to launch the new campus and "The Bridge" began worshiping in the Johnston High School auditorium in 2002. As the number of attenders grew, the new facility was built at 10025 NW 62nd Ave. in Johnston and worship began there in 2005. 
 
Meredith Drive Reformed Church continues to stretch and grow in ministry and worship at both Meredith Drive and The Bridge. In 2013 a ministry site was established at Willkie House in Des Moines. Our presence here allows us to minister to the people of this neighborhood in fellowship and Bible study, particularly partnering with other local ministries to offer youth activities and mentoring opportunities on Wednesday nights.
 
 

 

 

first building

worshipping in original sanctuary

Frame bldg - color photo

winter of completed sanctuary-today is fellowship center building